100 days until the Olympics

Jagerdad

Very Active Member
http://www.usashooting.org/12-the-team/rioinsight

I have waited and pondered if MM's is ok with this Post. I decided to toss this out to all of you and hope I learn of everyone's questions, thoughts, etc...

It's Now 100 day's away until the 2016 Summer Games in Rio de Janeiro begin. Beach Volleyball on the Copacabana (Balneario) beach will gain media spot lights but my interests are completely upon our USA Shooting Athletes. The top link explains a vast amount, including Quota Slots and has data's on our Shooters.

To initiate a question/thought, what is your feelings, beliefs on who and maybe how, someone becomes such an Athlete...? Are each from wealthy families allowing them to practice and not need to hold down a 40 hr week Job...? Is drug testing different than say being employed at a business where initial or random drug testing is done...? What is the Speed of an International Clay Target compared to any Trap/Skeet range; any City, USA..? Plus, what amount (Oz) & size # shot is in each 12 ga load...? What's the size of a 10 Ring or X, in Rifle or Handgun Targets plus, how are they scored...?

Has any MM'ey sent $ to support our Shooting Teams...? Had themselves or a friend/family member become or tried to become such an Athlete...?

Basic Information and an enjoyable general view is on the below link. By the way, at time line 2:31, the OTC Shooting Lobby is shown. It's fashioned more for tour groups. However, during qualifying matches, this is where Athlete's first walk into/through, once leaving a Range. Heartaches are shared minutes after finishing a Match. If a tour group enters, Athlete's go outside to sit. Some leave the area going to the cafeteria or back to the dorm.

I may not have all the answers and I an no expert. I would rather see everyone fire out thoughts and/or guesses, just for fun.

Maybe ask folks who monitor and post only in other forum subjects to come to General Hunting and read this and toss in their thoughts.

Jagerdad

there are businesses throughout town that work with the olympic training center here in colorado springs for getting the athletes part time jobs. They know they have demanding schedules and help them have short/abnormal shifts so they can train.

As far as drug testing it occurs a whole lot more often than a business, don't know how often but I'd guess that it is throughout their training a couple times and then before/after their events.

If ever in town, you can take a tour of the training center starting at the visitors center.

Off topic but it is only 110 days till athletes start getting really sick and potentially dyeing from that disease invested rat hole. :(
Mntman

"Hunting is where you prove yourself"

Jager,

We have a whole slew of Olympic athletes right here on MM. Some are even gold medal winners. They look forward to their big events with excitement and breathless anticipation.

Oh wait. I thought you were talking about the Special Olympics.

Athletes who compete in events sanctioned by or are members or license holders of a National Governing Body or who fall under the USADA testing jurisdiction as defined in the USADA Protocol for Olympic and Paralympic Movement Testing are subject to both in- and out-of-competition testing.

The USADA anti-doping program utilizes both in-competition (event) testing as well as no-advanced notice out-of-competition testing to help protect the rights of clean athletes and maximizes the deterrent value of testing. Athletes are subject to both urine and blood testing 365 days a year and tests can occur at any time and any place.

We found it arduous to fill out a three month calendar, listing each day and locations, per hour, so USADA could appear at such a day/hour for testing. If they appeared and your not present, this counts as a refusal. However, as difficult as it may be to forecast one's location, it is VERY reassuring because everyone must play by the same rules.

http://www.usada.org/

If I had a magic wand, USADA would be everywhere, work places to every corner suitable. They are true professionals.

The Special Olympics are different then Paralympics. Those in the Special Olympics give so much effort, it may draw tears.

I am glad to hear MM's has Athletes here. Kinda shows MM's is a Classy Place :)

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom