08 Antelope Options?

M

MtnHunter

Well,I knew it would happen eventually. My wife wants to come out west with me next year. My father and I try to go somewhere each year. This year it's western Nebraska(private ranch)for Mulies or Whitetails. I'm pumped! The hunt should fall right in the middle of the rut! I thought about bringing her out next year to try a pronghorn hunt early in the season while the weather is still nice. I've only hunted Deer and Elk and I'm not sure where to start looking for an Antelope hunt. All I know is I dont want to drop four or five grand for a guided hunt. Lets start out with the right state. Can you buy tags over the counter anywhere? This doesn't have to be a trophy hunt either. I'm sure any buck would make her happy. Sure would appreciate any info.

I am applying as usual in 8 states in the West for Pronghorn tags. If this is your first year applying in the draw then odds can be tough. Some states require you buy a non-resident hunting license to apply. NM is my suggestion for you and the wife.

You can buy transferable tags from ranchers in NM and CO. If I am not drawn anywhere else in 2008 then then I will buy a transferable tag from a rancher in NM. The NM tag is limited to just the ranch that sells it to you, though. You do get land access to the ranch and do not have to hire a guide unless you want to hire a guide. In NM you have a chance at some very nice bucks.

CO tags are good for the entire unit. Would be tough to draw but can buy the tag from a rancher.

WY and MT have tags you may draw even in your first year of applying since you stated you are looking for a representative animal vs. a trophy. Do some research to fill out your application. Land access can be an issue so chose wisely or you may have no choice but to hire an outfitter.

Montana is not a bad choice with lots of public and block management land availible to hunt on. Tags run around $200 and the drawing odds are pretty decent depending where you apply. Research is key.
45f82e4d30de4f30.jpg

They call eastern Wyoming the Antelope capital of the world for a reason ! There are numerous units that you can draw with no preference points. Some units like 7, 23, etc... go undersold. In other words you can buy tags right up until the season starts. Those eastern units are mostly private but for a very modest $200 - $300 tresspass fee you can get on most ranches and have a great hunt. Not too many bruisers around but LOTS of nice 12 - 13 inch goats with mild terrain and nice people. The Wyoming game and fish dept will even provide you with a list of ranch owners that you can call and make arrangements in advance. GOOD LUCK ! C.C.

Click-a-Pic ... Details & Bigger Photos
Back
Top Bottom